Wednesday, March 5, 2008

created gods

As we journeyed down the streets of Guatemala, the slow pace drew us in step by step. Lucious greenery, cool breezes, bright colors, all showing the beauty of the culture and the people. However, we encounter numerous gods that the people have created to worship and my heart is saddened for many reasons. These statues are incredibly ugly in our standards but beautiful in theirs. First of all, they do not know the One True God but have to create their own to offer sacrifices. Second, as I take in the surroundings of these images, light is shed on the idols and gods I have created in my own life. None of the statues we encountered showed beauty, yet were ugly and distateful in our eyes. My heart broke as I realized I have created these idols in my life that I look at as beautiful but God sees just as I saw the created gods in Guatemala. You see, anything we worship other than God is ugly in His eyes. I have found that I idolize my shopping and having material items. My focus shifted from God in my life to what can I buy next. Any idol in our lives, anything we have created to worship is trash in light of our Lord.

No comments:

ALICT 2009

ALICT 2009
27 students... 24 nations... 3 months in South Africa

Quote

Closing Ceremony

Closing Ceremony
The Joy is in the Journey

Quote

Laughter

Laughter
It's just juice

Quote