Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day of Caring

Friday, June 11 marked the 17th Annual United Way Day of Caring in East Texas. I could not believe this was the first time I had ever heard of this service project. Hundreds of volunteers (around 470 this year... up from 340 last year) gathered together to complete various work projects at 39 non-profit organizations around Tyler. Kathryn heard about the Day of Caring on the news and I immediately new this was something I wanted to participate in. After returning home from South Africa, I realized how little impact I was making in my own community. Sure I do plenty of things within the church walls, but rarely get outside of the church to help. My heart deeply desires to be in the community with the people. So, I put out a notice on facebook and gathered a team to be part of this day of service. After reviewing the list of projects, I came across the "Sisters in Christ" organization. Because I work for the Women's Ministry I have heard of this organization, but had never been there to learn about the people and the project. I never could have imagined what our day would hold.
Meet Michelle, the backbone of the organization. 8 years ago she had a dream. She operated out of her home for four years and then four years ago moved into a building. They have just recently moved into a larger building that will allow for more ministry to take place. Once you meet her, you will leave inspired. Inspired to dream big. Inspired to help. Inspired to make a difference and trust God to provide along the way. "Sisters in Christ" helps women who have fallen victim to domestic abuse, women who have been incarcerated, and so many more. They offer clothing, a food pantry, and will soon have a computer lab. Our team spent the day helping Michelle and her team get organized. We unpacked boxes of donations, set up a room for men's clothing, stocked the food pantry, cleaning, and moving things into the hall for Salvation Army to pick up. However, it is not the work that left a lasting impact on my heart but the stories I heard throughout the day and new memories that will forever be part of my life.
Shortly after I posted the plea on facebook for help, Lindsey said she was ready to help. Many of you know Lindsey and her journey (http://pleasant-drive.blogspot.com/) the past few years with breast cancer... twice. She has impacted more people than we will ever know by her blog that offers encouragement, inspiration, challenge, and transparency. She has shared her journey with us all through the tears, laughter, fear, sickness, and changes in lifestyle. Yet, with all that she has been through and still battles daily, she chose to give an entire day to come help. Lindsey, thank you for showing us that no matter what you face in life, serving others is what we are called to do. I love you dearly and LOVED our time together Friday.

Then there is Melondy, a beautiful woman whose joy in life radiated from within. She immediately connected with our group and became a friend for life!
Whitley, one of the college students at GABC, who loves Jesus and loves to serve. To see such a desire to serve at her age makes my heart happy.

Cody's new amigo... oh gosh... to listen to these two try to understand each other was hilarious. They had a great time together. One thing is for sure... the love of Jesus is not stopped by languages.
To say that our team had a great day is an understatement. There is nothing that compares to building new friendships, strengthening old ones, and serving others. We will forever have inside jokes to share, memories of trying on different clothes we found, and the unity that comes when you simply get outside of yourself and help someone else. Thank you United Way for such a great day!!!!

I am already looking forward to next year, but thankful that I do not have to wait until then to serve others and show care.

No comments:

ALICT 2009

ALICT 2009
27 students... 24 nations... 3 months in South Africa

Quote

Closing Ceremony

Closing Ceremony
The Joy is in the Journey

Quote

Laughter

Laughter
It's just juice

Quote