Sunday, June 20, 2010

Egyptians make my Heart Happy!!!

Hanging out with friends makes my heart happy. Last summer while I was in Egypt, I had the privilege of meeting and spending time with a team from the Houston area (about 3 hours away from my hometown). They are Egyptians that moved to Texas for school and such. After our time there, I said I would have to come down to visit. However, I am really bad about just making a point to go.

Last week Alex came to Tyler for a couple of meetings and we spent about 30 or 45 minutes catching up. It was so nice. Nice to sit and talk with someone from Egypt. Nice to talk with someone that is seeking and serving God with all of his heart. Nice to just chat. The connection I share with people from my time in Egypt and South Africa is something I could never explain in words. There is a connection that goes far beyond just the common friendship. It is as though my heart comes alive when I talk with someone that shares that bond.


His brother Ash has been trying to get me to come down and meet his wife Cindy (she was not with them last summer). After Alex left, I knew I just needed to go for many reasons. One: I have been saying I would come since I returned home. Two: I really wanted to meet and spend time with Cindy. Three: I needed some time away from the hustle and bustle. And the list could go on and on and on and on and on.

So, Thursday afternoon I hit the road and was in their driveway by 615.


I knew the weekend would be fun. However, I never could have expected how great this time has been. We have laughed uncontrollably for reasons to be shared later, shared what God is doing in each of our lives, eaten some amazing food, watched lots of football (the worldwide kind), and I personally have been so encouraged. I love the type of friends that can just sit around and discuss God's moving in our hearts and lives so naturally. I love that we share the common bond of Egypt. More than that, I love the depth of the bond that we share because of Jesus.


Before I left for South Africa, I really felt that I would be spending longer amounts of time in Egypt serving. However, God worked in my heart in a way that I was not ready for or did not want to face while at ALICT. It was there that I knew God was calling me home. My heart honestly was broken, not because I do not like living in the US or did not want to come home to be with family and friends, but because my heart connected with the Egyptian people. They have a love and hospitality that made me come alive. So, to come home and be able to have that connection with people close is so nice. I wish that my words could explain it but they cannot.



I am so grateful for the path that God has placed me on and the path He continues to lead me down. God knows just what our hearts need. He knows who we are better than we will ever know ourselves. He knows that the connection I share with Egyptians is one that is built upon Him. I love that He allowed me to have a part of Egypt here. My life has been so enriched and blessed.


From the minute I walked in the door Thursday evening til now where I am sitting on the couch watching the Brazilian game while they nap, I have felt completely at home. I know why Ash has been begging me to come meet Cindy... she is just precious and loves Jesus... and is going to be a mommy very soon!!! Alex and I spent sometime with another couple that was with the Houston team in Egypt Thursday night and we had such a great time... minus the Celtics losing in the final minutes. The rest of the time has been spent just spending time together. I am sooooooooo thankful for their friendships and presence in my life. Alex, Ash and Cindy... THANK YOU!!!!

For the lighter side of things... wait for the future post... it will have our finer moments!

My prayer is that as you read this post, that you have people that your heart has connected with in a similar way... in a way that can only be explained by the love and bond that we experience in Jesus. If you do not, my prayer is that God would bless you in a way that He has blessed me.

No comments:

ALICT 2009

ALICT 2009
27 students... 24 nations... 3 months in South Africa

Quote

Closing Ceremony

Closing Ceremony
The Joy is in the Journey

Quote

Laughter

Laughter
It's just juice

Quote